Sinuses are hollow air spaces in the face. These are cavities located within the skull or bones of the head surrounding the nose-
1. Frontal sinuses over the eyes in the brow area
2. Maxillary sinuses inside each cheekbone
3. Ethmoid sinuses just behind the bridge of the nose and between the eyes
4. Sphenoid sinuses behind the ethmoids in the upper region of the nose and behind the eyes
Each sinus has an opening into the nose for the free exchange of air and mucus, and each is joined with the nasal passages by a continuous mucous membrane lining. Therefore, anything that causes a swelling in the nose an infection, an allergic reaction, or another type of immune reaction also can affect the sinuses. Air trapped within a blocked sinus, along with pus or other secretions may cause pressure on the sinus wall. The result is the sometimes intense pain of a sinus attack. Similarly, when air is prevented from entering a paranasal sinus by a swollen membrane at the opening, a vacuum can be created that also causes pain. This kind of pain is often experienced in an air journey during the descent.Sinusitis
Sinusitis simply means your sinuses are infected or inflamed.
Acute sinusitis- lasts for 3 weeks or less.
Chronic sinusitis- lasts for 3 to 8 weeks but can continue for months or even years.
Functional endoscopic sinus surgery (FESS) is a minimally invasive surgical treatment which uses nasal endoscopes to enlarge the nasal drainage pathways of the paranasal sinuses to improve sinus ventilation. In most situations, the surgeon will employ endoscopic techniques that allow better and more precise visualization without the need for external incisions.Advantages of Sinus Surgery-
Minimal discomfort and Reduced Post operative pain
Shorter hospital stay
Less scarring with minimal incisions
Sinus surgery, involves the re-routing of existing sinus pathways in addition to removal of diseased tissue. Post-operative care is as equally important as the surgery itself.
1. Dressing: Light red to clear drainage from the nose is normal for 5-10 days following surgery. The outside gauze dressing needs to be changed when soiled or saturated.. Dressing is usually kept in place for 2 days. You are required to come to the clinic for its removal.
2. Packing: Nasal packing is usually used after surgery. Do not attempt to blow the nose with packing in place. It is normal to have bad breath or small a foul odor while the packing is in place.
3. Medications: Headache, sinus, or nasal discomfort is common after surgery and you should have medication for this. Antibiotics and/or a moisturizing saline spray may be prescribed.
4. Activity: No swimming or strenuous activities should be performed for 10-14 days after surgery as this might because bleeding. You may resume your routine work from the 5th day onwards.
5. Diet: Eat and drink normally. Avoid alcoholic beverages while taking medications.
6. Saline Irrigations: Ten days after your nasal surgery, saline irrigations are recommended to reduce crusting and to keep the sinus opening clear. Mix 1 teaspoon table salt and 1 tablespoon baking soda in Â½ liter boiled, warm water. Lean over a sink and irrigate both nasal passages. Irrigate twice a day, morning and evening.Follow-up:
You will need to be seen by your doctor for follow-up every 10 days following surgery for post operative cleaning. Specific instructions will be given to you at the time of discharge. An appointment is necessary and should be made before leaving the hospital When to obtain immediate care?Contact the Doctor or the hospital in case of any one of the following-
1. Excessive, bright red bleeding
2. A lot of clear watery drainage form the nose, or profuse salty tasting drainage down the throat
3. Double or blurred vision
4. Decreased ability to move or close eyes, or eye pain
5. Fever over 101 degrees Fahrenheit
6. Stiffness or pain in the neck or decreased alertness
In case of any questions or concerns, please call the hospital or speak to Dr Harish Nanda between 8:00 pm and 9:00 pm.
Dr. Harish Nanda, Consulting Otorhinolarygologist is known for his excellent rapport with his patients. He did his graduation & post graduation from Dayanand Medical College and Hospital Ludhiana in 1998.Since then he has worked under some of the top specialists in his field, which include fellowships under Dr. Heine Stamburger from Austria .He did his senior residency at Batra Cancer & Research Institute Delhi and Oswal Hospital Ludhiana and worked in Guru Nanak Mission Charitable Hospital Jalandhar for three years.
With excellent results in all his surgeries especially Laser/ Coablation and Microdebrider assisted FESS and Adenotonsillectomies and Reverse Stapedotomy ,he has garnered a reputation for being one of the best ENT Surgeons in Northern India.He has also attended a number of National & International conferences and also conducted live surgical workshops along with the best surgeons in the field of ENT at Kataria Eye & ENT Hospital Pvt. Ltd.
The Hospital has had the pleasure of having him for more than 20 years. He has been the driving force behind the total renovation and technical advancement of the hospital which is functioning since 1977.